Sunday 6 November 2011

Sketchbooks

I am keeping in my mind the section in the course that you can't go wrong with your drawings.  I haven't drawn in years and have never had any formal training, although my mother and grandfather were excellent artists.  Grandpa used to paint the most beautiful murals on sides of buildings and in churches where they lived in Ohio .  Interestingly, he was also colour blind.  I remember him buying me a paint by number kit when I was 8 years old.


My mother did china painting and tole painting.  She then moved on to spinning and weaving.  I learned to sew when I was 6 and starting making my own clothes and sewing bits of fabrics together to make covers for my dolls, not realising that I was doing patchwork.


Below is a sample from my sketchbook.  It was a very rough quick sketch working with oil pastels which I have not worked with before.  I love sunflowers and have always wanted to make an art quilt with sunflowers and beaded centres.  I have collected some beads which I think would work for the centres.  



No comments:

Post a Comment